Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2017

Zero Dark Burbot



Zero Dark Burbot
 Day 1: 1/21/17



If you don't have fishy facebook friends what are you doing with your life? They are the best kinds of friends to have. A friend of mine posted some ice-fished burbot on Facebook and he told me the bite was on...a plan was hatched and within a week put into motion!




This trip in general made me question what I'd do without the worlds coolest wife who didn't question the fact I was going to Canada at an unknown day and period of time. Also probably the best friend you could have ready to jettison across the border at a moments notice, and with this it became so.





I worked the midnight shift and drove from there straight to pick up mark a few things were put in order and we left. We crossed the border with ease and got to our destination early.

Michael met us on the ice just as we were about to set camp in the wrong place and then the serious effort began. You need to give credit where credits due Michael is definitely one of thee nicest people I've ever fished with bar none saying he was hospitable would be a disservice, can't thank him enough.

This was a lot of firsts for us.


  • deepest we've ever ice fished
  • heaviest fish targeted through ice
  • first time icefishing outside of NEPA
  • first time icefishing a different country
  • first time icefishing at night 


It was a lot of firsts and that showed as I spent the vast majority of my jigging time taking in the scenery whether it was the vastness during the day or the stillness cloaked in darkness as coyotes howled in the distance. The fog definitely added a sense of eerie calm. Which occasionally segued by the riotous good time Mark and Michael were having quoting Trailer Park Boys and elevating the fun of the whole trip






   

   

We fished for 12 hours and for most of that I jigged. And jigged. And jigged. And jigged....then I jigged some more while semi-conscious. My boots eventually succumbed to the melted ice water and mark came to rescue with a new dry pair of boots reinvigorated I continued to jig. 

Cloaked in a suffocating darkness and flanked by Michael and Mark bouncing spots by what can only be described as having the most fun humanly possible.

I, like I always do stayed transfixed on burbot. It's the first time they've been mentioned here and coincidentally the only time one showed up. As my iPhone clicked over the "A Perfect Circle - Blue" I leaned back transfixed on the rhythm of the spinning vex intermingled with the music and the stillness of the night. Until a red blob interrupted the stillness of my vexilar, and made a b-line to the location of my bait. 8 hours of jigging later, could it be!? I lessened the jigging, I felt a heavy weight, I felt my tip of my pole twitch in my hand. It's time! I gave the burbot his due and set the hook only to be met with a weird/loose type of resistance. It became clear I no longer had a jig, or a bait, or a burbot for that matter. Upon further inspection by Michael who graciously allowed me to use his properly rigged set up he said a kink in the line was the culprit. It's a shame but my setup would of yielded similar results. A sense of defeat came upon me because I knew that was the shot at glory. I have a knack for 11th hour fishing and the clocks hand passed and so did my opportunity. I fell asleep in the fishing hut shortly after. Mark and Michael continued having a blast and we packed up as 2am came. We cannot thank Michael enough who I would fish with again 100 times over. Hopefully next time I'll be more talkative once I ice a bur-bot (Northeast US), a bur-bit(Canada/MN), or maybe even a bur-boat(French Canada). Either way a new challenge has arisen not quite invoking the rivalry of the snakehead just yet but on its way and boy do I love the challenge.....



No comments:

Post a Comment