Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I Got It! Skylar's 1st Ever Fish, A Native Brook Trout

Skylar's 1st Ever Fish
Skylar's 1st Ever Brook Trout
Kori's first time fishing in 2016
03/09/2016

It sounded crazy but it was 76 degrees out in Pennsylvania on March 9th, 2016 so I guess anything was possible at this point. I asked Kori if she wanted to take Skylar for her first time ever fishing, not only did she agree that this was a swell idea, she decided she would come along, the stars must of really aligned on this trip.

First we had to secure bait, which was no easy task. D&A bait shop was closed, but the owner of one saw me pull in. I went inside and his card machine was broke so after 20 minutes it was off to the ATM machine. Unbeknownst to me my card was charged anyways, however we had our spiderman rod in hand. We went to the White's Crossing Sports Shop and secured small nightcrawlers and off we were. An eager Skylar was overjoyed with excitment.

We set up behind the old Fell Elementary school fishing Belmont Reservoir, now eloquently named Dimes for Heaven pond or something ludicrous.

Nothing was moving here because unlike the air temperature, the water temps were still cold. Skylar got some practice holding the rod and reeling.

 I told Kori I could definitely get Skylar on her first fish but it may get a bit hinky.....Kori complied and off we were.




I still can't believe my wife let me take her to the native trout stream. Simply put its not easy fishing here. It is if you are a grown up and have an idea of what you're doing fishing wise. Definitely not on the top 100 list of where I'd take a child for their first fishing trip, but shes a Russo, so she has to hit the ground running.

We traversed boulders and steep hills, 10 foot ledges over hanging rivers, pretty much your standard your 2 year old will perish fishing.






I connected with several fish however this type of fishing was absolutely not conducive to teaching a child, although Skylar was a million times over willing. My reluctance to hook the fish for her, because I want her first fish to be purely caught by her. I'll cast, I may even give the fish a slight nudge, but I'm not helping....not if I have anything to do with it.





Finally it happened, it the most ill advised location, where I literally had to hold her to stop her from falling in while balancing on a tree like its a trapeze, Skylar connected with her lifer Native Brook Trout. She was ecstatic, then she was crying, then she was enamored. One thing she really didn't want was her picture taken, and I didn't want to kill the fish. So I settled for a few bad shots and a palm shot.





I left feeling a little crazy and a whole lot accomplished, also a little shocked my wife didn't try to call the whole thing off at any given point. It was done, I established a lifetime fishing buddy just as enthusiastic as her father!



No comments:

Post a Comment